CALL FOR PROGRAM COMMITTEE MEMBERS
Apply to Join the Program Committee for MICCAI 2018
We invite researchers who have been active in past MICCAI conferences to volunteer their efforts and serve on the program committee (PC) as Area Chairs. The quality of the conference depends heavily on the selection process; and in turn, this hinges on bringing together the best possible team of Area Chairs. We hope that this call for PC membership can attract the right mix of people with complementary expertise to join the MICCAI 2018 team and deliver an attractive conference for the whole community.
Please mind that not all applications can be selected. In a first phase, there will be 30 ACs initially recruited, balanced between MIC, CAI and MICCAI experts, with spread of expertise based on past MICCAI history, and aiming for gender parity and diversity. After paper submission, we will invite approximately 10-20 additional ACs from the database of applicants to complement the breadth and width of expertise required on the PC.
PC members assume the role of an Area Chair (AC) who will have specific expertise and more responsibilities for the papers that are assigned to him/her. Being an Area Chair is a demanding task that involves managing the review process for a set of papers, proposing papers for orals and awards, interacting with the Program Committee up to and including participating in a PC Teleconference - and thus entails a significant commitment on their part.
To understand the responsibilities and time commitments of the Area Chairs, please carefully read the details below before you apply to be an Area Chair. Note that there will not be any face-to-face PC meeting, but at set of PC teleconferences will be held in May 2018 in three different time zones to accommodate the geographical spread of our community. All PC members will be expected to participate in one of the teleconferences to not only help create the final program, but also to provide feedback in the overall MICCAI peer review process.
In recognition of your efforts, your name will be mentioned in the conference program, proceedings and conference website. We are also planning a thank-you event at the conference, and will be exploring further community-building activities for MICCAI 2018 involving our PC members.
We look forward to your applications. Best wishes,
MICCAI 2018 Organizing Committee
Julia Schnabel, Program Chair
Christos Davatzikos, Program Co-Chair
Gabor Fichtinger, Program Co-Chair
Alejandro Frangi, Program Co-Chair and Conference Co-Chair
Carlos Lopez, Conference Co-Chair
Area Chair responsibilities and review process highlights
- Paper assignment to Area Chairs will be completed automatically using the latest version of the Toronto Paper Matching System (TPMS), and Researcher.cc to manage conflicts, which have been successfully used at MICCAI 2017. The Program Chairs will oversee the process.
- You will be responsible for shepherding the review process for each of approximately 20 papers.
Specifically, the expectation is that you will:
- read the articles;
- use TPMS to confirm the automated assignment of reviewers;
- follow-up with reviewers to ensure timeliness and quality of their reviews;
- read and consider the authors' rebuttal in your final score.
- provide meta-reviews for all articles
- In the first phase, the review process is structured so that "easy" decisions (clear accepts and clear rejects) are identified and finalized prior to the second phase of the review process.
- In the second phase, you will be responsible to read and finalise the decisions for ~6 borderline papers from your allocations plus an additional ~12 borderline papers from two other Area Chairs.
Schedule of PC duties
After the full paper submission deadline on March 2nd 2018, the first phase of your work will start March 16th for the initial reviewer assignment period which finishes March 23 2018, followed by a reviewer paper bidding period. The paper review period will run from 2-23 April 2018, followed by the authors' rebuttals due on 30 April 2018. The second phase will then start for the final paper decision by Area Chairs, which are due on 7 May 2018. Your responsibilities will end with the PC teleconferences in May 2018, and with providing final meta-reviews for all papers in your allocations as primary AC. A detailed timeline is posted on the Conference webpage: www.miccai2018.org
Applying to serve as an Area Chair
To apply as a MICCAI 2018 Area Chair, please fill out the survey regarding this information:
- Your institutional/company email address (to be used in Researcher.cc to manage conflicts).
- Number of MICCAI conferences attended (at least 3).
- If applicable, years served as a PC member already (maximum of 3 consecutive years).
- List of relevant conferences where you have been PC member/Area chair (e.g. MICCAI 2017, CVPR 2017, ...)
- List one to three topics that best represent the focus of your research and expertise.
- List relevant conferences where you have been a member of the Program Committee.
The deadline to apply is December 22, 2017. The conference Program Chairs will review all applications carefully and will respond by January 15, 2018.
Looking forward to your applications - with best regards,
Your MICCAI 2018 Organising Committee
Julia Schnabel, Christos Davatzikos, Gabor Fichtinger, Alejandro Frangi, Carlos Lopez